Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 00:04:24 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Jan Koum <jkb@best.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux Goes Postal

On Thu, Apr 23, 1998 at 02:32:18PM -0700, Amancio Hasty wrote:
> I don't care for Linux however I do care for OCR on FreeBSD so
> there is perhaps money to be made if we have OCR as demonstrated
> by TRW Financial Systems (they have deploy FreeBSD systems to do
> check processing) and this last linux thingie clearly suggests
> a business opportunity for FreeBSD & OCR.

I'll use this opportunity to remind people that NIST have a reference
implementation & sample datasets for OCRing of hand-printed forms.
It's available from them on request (they send you a CD with the
reference software; when I got my copy, it included a slightly aged
sample dataset.  That was considered a 'bonus', so it might not come
with it any longer.)

Eivind.