Date:      Mon, 16 May 2005 13:28:32 +0300
From:      Michael Dexter <dexter@ambidexter.com>
To:        Florent Thoumie <flz@xbsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD from CD

>  >   Yes :(  The FreeBSD UFS code will only work on the endian type that
>>  created the filesystem. (NetBSD can be compiled to do this - it detects
>>  the disk endian and byte-swaps appropriately). PPC and i386 won't be
>>  able to read a UFS volume created by the other.
>
>	I thought PPC could work in both endian modes (31th or 63th bit
>	of MSR), that would mean FreeBSD/ppc could read UFS volumes
>	created by FreeBSD/i386 but not the opposite.
>
>	Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Alas, I did not get FreeBSD PPC running to verify. Note the NetBSD
endian detection and also note that the G5 does not support pseudo
little endian mode. This hit Virtual PC users the hardest:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827904

I'm not sure how MS solved this one but apparently they have.

Michael.