Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 10:11:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu (Bill Paul)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: splash-page on bootup..

> [all other discussion snipped]
>
> Uh... guys? Guys?!
>
> There are a couple of things I'd like to say here, about how this
> whole discussion is nothing more than a sad example of caving in to
> the Micro$oft Mentality (tm) and how we really should be concentrating

This was my first reaction too..  however I will not state that the
Mac/Microsoft/Etc. ideas don't have some merit...  OTOH, most people
who would get warm fuzzies from this sort of thing are the sort of
people who won't be using FreeBSD in the short term.

> on more important things like fixing bugs and improving performance
> before talking about stroking our egos with a pointless splash page, but
> I'm going to put those things aside in favor or a more pressing issue.
>
> While you're all gushing all over yourselves with nifty splash page
> ideas, you're forgetting that not every FreeBSD machine out there has
> a graphics console. Yes boys and girls, some of us mutants actually
> use dumb ASCII terminals for consoles, and if you fuck up our ability
> to continue doing so, we will swoop down on you like... like... like

I've usually threatened to drop relics on people from airplanes... this
usually fails to make an impression on them until they've seen the
relics in question :-)

You would be suprised how many people these days haven't even seen
something as modern as a (real) VT100.

> mutant ASCII terminal console users, and take you to the Mutant ASCII
> Terminal Console User King, who will undoubtedly be very unhappy. He's
> already plenty miffed that we can't do a proper install from a serial
> console.

Agreed.

... JG