Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2003 12:51:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Mac Newbold <newbold@cs.utah.edu>
To:        Orion Hodson <orion@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ESS Technology Allegro-1 with 4.7-STABLE

And it came to pass that Today, at 11:26am, Orion Hodson said:

>I have no idea if anyone amongst the active sound committers has this
>hardware: all of the other sound committers are pretty quiet of late.
>
>Without knowing what your customizations were, it's impossible to say
>whether they have any bearing on the situation, but if they addressed
>specific issues it would have been good to get them into the tree.

They were just instructions I found on the web, I believe on either
Darrell Anderson's or Scott L.'s page about this hardware, for how to get
the kernel module for this driver loaded and working. I just don't know if
some of them are no longer the right thing to do since they were from
before the driver was included in -STABLE.

>If you are prepared to do some leg work, a good start now would be building
>a kernel without your customizations and testing that.  If it fails, try
>looking at the diffs of the past revisions on the RELENG_4 branch for the
>driver and checking there, preferably with the specs in hand.

All the customizations I did were outside the kernel, and just involved
loaded some modules. Here's the current list, obviously the maestro3 and
the pcm ones are the only ones really related to the problem at hand.

> kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    9 0xc0100000 412488   kernel
 2    1 0xc0513000 8cc8     snd_maestro3.ko
 3    1 0xc051c000 1889c    snd_pcm.ko
 4    1 0xc232e000 7000     linprocfs.ko
 5    1 0xc23ab000 2000     green_saver.ko
 6    1 0xc23ae000 14000    linux.ko
 7    1 0xc2ea5000 1c000    smbfs.ko
 8    1 0xc2ec1000 3000     libiconv.ko
 9    1 0xc2ec5000 3000     libmchain.ko

So building a new kernel wouldn't be necessary, since I'm already using a
standard kernel. What else could I try besides not loading the modules?

>If you don't want to do the leg work, I'd suggest splashing out $10 on a
>cheapo PCI card (als4000, cs4281, cmi8738).

Is there an easy way to find out which cards have those, or what chipset a
particular card uses? Obviously I could look at web pages one by one, but
is there a list somewhere?

Thanks,
Mac

--
Mac Newbold		Univ. of Utah School of Computing
newbold@cs.utah.edu	http://www.cs.utah.edu/~newbold/