Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 14:39:40 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Discussion about script to update /etc, etc.

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

[design model snipped]

> As the author of a number of the temporary bodges we're using right
> now (/etc/rc.conf and friends), I can say that they're exactly that -
> temporary bodges with numerous limitations.  I was hoping we'd stop
> hacking out ever more temporary solutions to the /etc configuration
> problem someday and start thinking of something that actually SCALES
> worth a damn, but we clearly haven't gotten to that point yet. :)

	Ok, go ahead and close the PR. If I read between the lines it sounds to
me like you don't want this as a port either, however if I'm incorrect
in that assumption please let me know and I'll see what I can do about
getting it done before the deadline.

	I agree that a better solution is desirable, I made that point myself.
If I were capable of putting together something along the lines of what
you want I would be happy to do so. However it seems to me that some
solution is better than no solution, especially when you consider that
there is currently nothing in the base that explains how to do the
upgrade properly.

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest