Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 22:20:09 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        ufkartfm@pacific.net (curtis)
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing boot?

New interesting ( I think) data:

I set both diskdrives for spinup on powerup. As you might know the somewhat
older DEC drives are set to wait for a spinup command. Newer ones are set
for staggered spinup, this means they wait X seconds * the SCSI ID before
starting their spindle. This to avoid high inrush currents, especially
on raid arrays and in Storageworks shelves.

Anyway, when booting the 3.0-current from the harddisk both da0 and da1
were spun up OK, and probed OK by the just booting kernel. When I used the
bootflop / mfsroot flop for some reason this did not work, as far as sysinstall
was concerned. sysinstall simply claimed "no disks found" or something similar.

I just retried the whole floppy boot with the drives already spinning and now
sysinstall finds the disks alright, both da0 and da1.

I wonder if anybody ever saw this before. I think it is safe to assume you
might DEC drives in Alpha machines, but maybe some SRMs do a startup of the
disks on their own? I only remember that it took a boot from SRM to start
disks, but I obviously have not seen all SRM and machine types.

I'll try an install to see what happens..

Wilko