Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 1997 14:07:15 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de
To:        ben@narcissus.ml.org (Snob Art Genre)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Xwindows question...

Snob Art Genre writes:
> On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Mike D'Arcy wrote:
>
>>  I am relatively new to all this, so I apologize if there is a really *easy* answer to all this...
>>
>>  Why is it that after the XF86Config program runs succesfully and
>>  saves my valid config file, I can't run startx or xdm or any of
>>  the executables - I just keep getting 'xdm: not found'?
>>
>>  This is on a completely plain system that has been *just* installed with no errors.
>>
>>  Is there a link or a path setup that I am missing? I poured through the docs and can't find a thing...
>
> Run "locate xdm" to find out where your copy of xdm is.

There's a good chance that locate will draw a blank.  It relies on a
data base (/var/db/locate.database) that normally only gets rebuilt
once a week (early on Saturday mornings, assuming the machine hasn't
been turned off overnight :-).

xdm and startx and xinit should all be in /usr/X11R6/bin.  It's
possible that you might have not installed them and still have been
able to run the configure script; in this case, install from
XF8632/X32bin.tgz (assuming the 2.1.6 CD-ROM).

> Make sure that directory is in your path, or symlink xdm to a
> directory that is in your path.  If you're using a shell that hashes
> the executable files on the path, you need to type "rehash".  I know
> tcsh does this, I don't know about other shells.

Good advice.  On bash, use 'hash -r' instead of 'rehash'.

Greg