Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 00:06:11 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        "'freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: new books, changing my pt. of view

On Thu 2000-08-03 (07:57), Doug Young wrote:
> Dunno if I posted info anywhere but the newbies list. I did get
> feedback from some on the docs list complaining about the size of the
> thing due to "too many pics", but since the number of pics was what
> drew most if not all of the compliments

You should post it to the docs list.

> I see no reason to change from that concept. Its quite slow to load because
> of the number of pics, &  I don't know any way to reduce the size of the
> thing from the current 13 odd Mb without removing the pics, so its unlikely
> to ever be acceptable to traditional unix docs people in its present format.

You're not dealing with "traditional unix docs people".  If you take the
step to thinking that the documentation project people are there to
provide documentation to any and all comers, you're there.  FreeBSD is
about providing something for any and all, about tools that are
well-defined and which together do anything you want.  If you want less
cryptic error messages, then send a problem report.  It won't be
arbitrarily closed because "hard-core unix users don't need nice error
messages".

> I'm working on a pdf format as part of the review so maybe that will prove
> more acceptable to the "experts" .... can't see me doing anything with latex
> or the like though.

If you submit the HTML, I'll do the rest.  It's one of the few things
that takes almost no time, and gets results.  I might need to change
your pictures to "png" format, and use complex SGML stuff, but I'm
pretty sure it'll be accepted.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner