Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 01:04:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        allen campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, allen campbell wrote:

> IMHO, HTML is the best choice for this documentation.  HTML is

I think HTML is great for reading on the screen (with Netscape or
Internet Explorer) and printing.  But the handbook comes in 340 or so
HTML pieces.  It is in this condition useless to me, although I know
other people like this sort of thing.  So I usually read a latin1
version with "less," if there's something I need to look at.

John Fieber suggested once breaking the handbook into chapters (he
had 22 sections; 6 or 8 appealed to me) but the chapters were
available only on his server.

I printed out the copy of the handbook that came with 2.0.5 (it was
ascii and had no control codes like ^H in it) using a little dos
program called pcbook.exe.  This is one of those programs that makes
booklets; you take the paper out of the Laserjet and turn it over and
print the other sides, and then fold it, and it gets the page numbers
right.  Actually I still use this version of the handbook because it's
convenient, even though it's out of date.

> If a plain text version is necessary for ease of printing and access
> where a browser isn't available, use the existing SGML tools to
> produce HTML and text from one base.  This will also integrate
> nicely with the existing FreeBSD documentation structure.  This
> wheel has already been invented.

Annelise