Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 1996 08:12:26 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Tomas Klockar <dateck@ludd.luth.se>
To:        john@zyqad.co.uk (John Richards)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hitachi ATAPI CD-ROM + big disks

According to John Richards:
> Dear all,
>
> QUESTION 1
>
> I have just got a Hitachi ATAPI CD-rom - on trial - if it doesn't work I can
> always return it and get a Mitsumi, but the Hitachi is cheap.  I tried last
> night to install 2.1 from the CD-ROM.  The CD is attached to a PINE EIDE
> controller on the secondary side as a slave device.  I have two Western Digital
> disks on the Primary side.
>
> It wouldn't go directly from DOS and I suspect too many TSRs etc so I tried the
> atapi.flp approach.
>
> During the boot from the floppy I get the wdc0 finds which finds both the disks
> and is quite happy but although it finds wdc1 it does not report anything on
> this device.
>
> wdc1 at 0x170-??? irq 15 on isa
>               ^^^ - I forget the number here but it seemed OK.
>
> So when I get as far as selecting the device to install from sysinstall says it
> can't find the CD.
>
> I've looked at freebsd.org and a search threw up a couple of ideas
> 1.  Try the CD as slave on the primary side.
> 2.  Try inst_ide.bat
>
> Is there anything else I should try?  before returning the CD as unusable and
> paying out more money.
>
> I'm sorry but SCSI is not an option due to cost.

My experience is that you need the CD-ROM as master. on the secondary controller
I have a Mitsumi and my freebsd just finds it if I have it as master.
I don't know why. I haven't had a look at the code.

> QUESTION 2
>
> Later today I should be taking delivery of a 1.2 Gb Western Digital IDE drive
> which I intend to devote entirely to FreeBSD.  Currently I have :
>
> wd0: WD 200 Mb drive shared between DOS & FreeBSD 1.1.5.1R
> wd1: WD 250 Mb drive main FreeBSD 1.1.5.1R disk has / & /usr & swap.
>
> I want to reorganise the disks such that the 200Mb drive is wholly DOS/Windoze,
> the new 1.2 Gb disk is the main FreeBSD 2.1 disk / & /usr & swap, and the 250 Mb
> disk is FreeBSD working files etc.
>
> Does the 1.2 Gb disk have to be on the primary IDE controller for Boot Manager
> to see it?
> Can FreeBSD see any disks on the secondary IDE controller?
>
> Other suggestions, ideas welcomed.

I hope so, I'm going to get another one :)

> FINALLY
>
> A big thank you to the FreeBSD team for the hard work they put into 2.1.  The
> sysinstall program is 200%+ better than the hassle involved in 1.1.5.1.  Keep up
> the good work.
>

> Bye
>
> John
> (Play Violin & Ride Bike - but not at the same time)
> John Richards                           * email : john@zyqad.co.uk
> Zyqad Ltd,                              *
> Suite 25, GPT Business Park,            *
> Technology Drive, Beeston               * tel   : +44 115 922 0820
> NOTTINGHAM. NG9 2ND.                    * fax   : +44 115 967 8374

Tomas Klockar can be found at the following adresses:

Kårhusvägen 4, 2:43  |  Furuvägen 102       |  dateck@ludd.luth.se
977 54 Luleå         |  871 52 Härnösand    |  dateck@solace.mh.se
Tel: +46-920-229391  |  Tel: +46-611-13393  |  d94-tkl@sm.luth.se