Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2013 09:07:20 -0500
From:      CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo@cyberleo.net>
To:        Andrei Brezan <andrei693@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkgng / poudriere oddity

On 03/31/2013 08:58 AM, Andrei Brezan wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> It seems I'm experiencing some issues while trying to install packages
> that have dependencies that have other dependencies as well, or at least
> that's how I understand it.
>
>  # uname -a
> FreeBSD host.example.com 9.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE #0 r243825: Tue
> Dec  4 09:23:10 UTC 2012
> root@farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>
> # pkg install mtr-nox11
> Updating repository catalogue
> Repository catalogue is up-to-date, no need to fetch fresh copy
> The following packages will be installed:
>
>     Installing gettext: 0.18.1.1_1
>     Installing pcre: 8.32
>     Installing libiconv: 1.14_1
>     Installing glib: 2.34.3
>     Installing libffi: 3.0.13
>     Installing perl: 5.14.2_3
>     Installing python27: 2.7.3_6
>     Installing mtr-nox11: 0.84
>
> The installation will require 149 MB more space
>
> 0 B to be downloaded
>
> Proceed with installing packages [y/N]: y
> Checking integrity... done
> Installing gettext-0.18.1.1_1...missing dependency libiconv-1.14_1
>
> # pkg rquery "%n-%v" libiconv
> libiconv-1.14_1
>
> Is there an obvious reason why gettext dependencies are not pulled in
> and installed?
> If I do "pkg install gettext" all goes well and libiconv in installed as
> dependency.
>
> I've already did a "poudriere bulk -j jail_name -p ports_tree -c -f
> pkg_list.txt" for the pkg repo to no avail.
>
> To mention that on the host using pkgng I did several pkg delete -f for
> all packages installed except pkg.

Try turning PARALLEL_JOBS to 1 in poudriere.conf and then rebuilding all
the packages.

This sounds very similar to a behaviour I was witnessing with non-pkgng
repos constructed by Poudriere, whereby the INDEX was ending up
incomplete, and so the dependencies were never installed by pkg_add -r.
I would imagine a similar race condition could be affecting pkgng as
well. I just haven't had time to troubleshoot it very far, and the above
seemed to alleviate the issue.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo