Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2011 23:24:25 +0100
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <torfinn.ingolfsen@broadpark.no>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PowerPC installer

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 09:09:48 -0600
Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org> wrote:

> As part of my work on BSDInstall (http://wiki.freebsd.org/BSDInstall),
> I've produced an install CD that can set up a bootable system on Apple
> powerpc hardware. This may be useful to people trying to set up new
> machines. An ISO is here:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/bsdinstall-powerpc-20110116.iso.bz2

Tested on my PowerMac G5[1] (yes - the one which probablyu has broken
hardware), and the image booted fine, dtected the keyboard, and the
started printing error messages from the cd drive. A few minutes later
the fans come on full blast, and that's it.
(I am beginning to suspect that FreeBSD currently do something
differently than other OS'es for the CD drive in this machine - FreeBSD
is the only os that has problems reading it after booting)

Also tested on my PowerBook G4[2], which has a non-working optical
drive.
I copied the bsdinstaller image to a usb stick using dd:
dd if=<image.iso> of =/dev/da4 bs=10240 conv=sync
and used the usual Open Firmware magic to boot that. The image booted,
but it tries to mount root from cd9660:/dev/acd0 and fails.
Unfortunately, the keybaord didnm't work at that stage, so I couldn't
try to mount it manually.
What "magic" are the release images (disc1) using for the root mount?
Those works when dd'ed to a usb memory stick.

Hope this helps.