Date:      Sun, 04 Mar 2001 10:16:33 -0800
From:      Manfred Antar <null@pozo.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Using serial console to debug system hangs ...

At 01:48 PM 3/4/2001 -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, John Baldwin wrote:

>> > Okay, reading NOTES, it says that 9600 is the default ... does that mean I
>> > should be able to attach at 115200 and it should auto-upgrade, or do I
>> > have to recompile kernel iwth CONSPEED=115200 for this?
>>
>> Either recompile or use the loader tunable 'machdep.conspeed' I think.
>> However, you'll probably want the bootstrap to work on teh serial console as
>> well, in which case you need to set the speed in make.conf (see
>> /etc/defaults/make.conf) and recompile and reinstall boot2 and the loader.
>
>Okay, now you are going beyond my experiences :(
>
>First, I changed CONSPEED to 115200, but sysctl is still registering 9600:
>
>thelab# sysctl machdep.conspeed
>machdep.conspeed: 9600
>
>manually doing 'sysctl -w machdep.conspeed=115200' appears to work though
>
>But, after modifying my make.conf, what do I have to recompile?  Are we
>just talking a rebuild and install of the kernel itself?  I'm going to try
>that ...

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message

You have to recompile the boot stuff also, after changing the line in make.conf:
# The default serial console speed is 9600.  Set the speed to a larger value
# for better interactive response.
#
BOOT_COMCONSOLE_SPEED=  57600

Then cd /sys/boot ; make depend all install.
I forget if you then need to relabel the disk or not.
ie :
disklabel -B da0