Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 13:37:27 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        tw@ettnet.se
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Archimedes <pstanfield@home.com>
Subject:   Re: I may be new....but.

Thomas Widlundh wrote:

> >> In linux, by default, I think you get the basic shell or "bash",
> >> this shell allows you to simply hit the up arrow to go through a
> >> bunch of your previous command line commands.
> >> So I install FreeBSD, and lo and behold, I can find no such feature
> >> in the basic (bourne?) shell.  Is there one?  How about for other
> >> shells like csh and ssh?
>
> Hi,
> Well, in sh (Bourne shell) there is a list of 'history'. You can type h and a
> list of your last commands will appear, with numbers.
> I haven't figured out if you can use some kind of 'shorty' to repeat a command,
> though. Anybody knows this?
>
> And another thing! Anybody knows what file brings a shell to start with that
> perticular shell? I want to change sh to bash, permanently. Not just for the
> moment.

man chsh. There are other choices but they are all linked. When you
run chsh, if you don't provide the right path, you will have to login
and change it as administrator. If you are changing root, you will
have to single user boot and then use /bin/sh. You can get away with
"su -m" but I screwed up my .cshrc and tried that last night and it
locked up two terminal's before I rooted my solution.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html