Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 2004 22:59:54 -0500
From:      "Will Saxon" <WillS@housing.ufl.edu>
To:        "Satoshi Sato" <satoshi@din.or.jp>, <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: trouble with K8T Master2-FAR (dual Opteron)

> Hello again,
>=20
> I wrote,
> Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:36:04 +0900 (JST)
>=20
> > I'm trying to install FreeBSD/amd64 to dual Opteron machine.
> >=20
> >   M/B: MSI K8T Master2-FAR
> >   CPU: AMD Opteron 240 x 2
> >   Mem: 512MB x 2 ( in Slot 1 and 3, Single channel)
> >=20
> > I had some trouble with this installation.
>=20
> I'm so sorry.
>=20
> I fogot very important information.
>=20
> I'm using 5.2-Release.

I have not tried 5.2-RELEASE but with 5.2RC2 on the same motherboard =
with dual Opteron 244's and the same memory configuration I had the same =
problem with ACPI causing a kernel panic when using the install CD. I =
was able to boot with ACPI disabled and then install the system without =
trouble. After than I was able to compile a new kernel with ACPI and =
that kernel booted correctly without panicking.

What BIOS revision do you have? Maybe we have different ones. What type =
of hard drive are you installing to? I am using a Western Digital Raptor =
connected to the onboard serial ATA, and was installing from CDROM.

The problem I have had is that the bge driver does not initialize the =
onboard bcm5705 controller. Since I have some other buggy hardware, I am =
now using a linux distribution for the time being. I noticed that their =
tg3 driver also does not initialize the controller correctly, while the =
(vendor supplied?) bcm5700 driver works fine.

-Will