Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 22:59:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Stephen Beitzel <sbeitzel@foobie.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Difficulty installing FreeBSD 4.0 on K7 system

Hi, I'm trying to build a couple of machines, one to be a gateway and
one to be a webserver. I'd really like to be using FreeBSD on them,
since I'm more comfortable with it than I am with Linux. However, I'm
having trouble with the installation. When I try to boot from either the
installation CD or from an installation boot floppy, the computer just
hangs after displaying the message that the BTX Boot Loader is starting
up. I was able to install RedHat 6.2 just fine on these guys, so I
figure I've put the pieces together alright. Is there some kind of
problem with the motherboard, maybe, or does FreeBSD not recognize UDMA
hard drives?

Here are the hardware specifications:

Microstar K7 Pro (MS-6195) motherboard
Athlon K7
Diamond Speedstar A200 AGP video card (8MB)
WD Caviar 10 GB UDMA hard drive
256 MB RAM
Netgear PCI NIC (FA310TX)
Mitsumi 1.44 FDD