Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 12:32:04 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@ais.salford.ac.uk>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@ais.salford.ac.uk>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What's DIOCWLABEL mean?

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > Why can I not alter the labels on da4-6 ?
>
> To answer the question in the Subject: line: DIOCWLABEL is an ioctl
> call saying ``write disk label''.  There's no such underlying
> operation on the device: it just writes in a particular place.  Before
> considering it a bug in the DPT hardware or software, I'd be inclined
> to check the major and minor numbers for your /dev/da* files, and to
> run ktrace on the disklabel operation to find out which device
> disklabel really tries to open.  If all appears correct, you should

Dohh. You're right. I did ktrace them, but obviously wasn't paying
attention. On the failing command:

  2208 disklabel RET   execve 0
  2208 disklabel CALL  open(0x8068030,0x2,0x5)
  2208 disklabel NAMI  "/dev/rda6c"
  2208 disklabel RET   open -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
  2208 disklabel CALL  open(0x8068030,0x2,0x5)
  2208 disklabel NAMI  "/dev/rda6"
  2208 disklabel RET   open 3

On the successful:

  2211 disklabel RET   execve 0
  2211 disklabel CALL  open(0x8068030,0x2,0x5)
  2211 disklabel NAMI  "/dev/rda3c"
  2211 disklabel RET   open 3

Quick MAKEDEV put the neccesary devices back in. Quite why they were there
for da[0-3] and not da[4-6] is still a mystery.
Cheers for the help.

Mark Powell - System Administrator (UNIX) - Clifford Whitworth Building
A.I.S., University of Salford, Salford, Manchester, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key
M.S.Powell@ais.salfrd.ac.uk (spell salford correctly to reply to me)