Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 07:43:21 -0700
From:      Bill Trost <trost@cloud.rain.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, dima@best.net (Dima Ruban)
Subject:   Re: kernel permissions

Dima Ruban writes:
    Is there a particular reason of kernel being installed with 555 root/wheel
    permissions instead of 550 root/kmem ?

    If nobody has nothing against it - I'll commit the change.

Is "/kernel" typically the first command in the pipe, or should it
appear in the middle?  (-:

Maybe I am missing something, but I see no reason for /kernel to have
the execute bits set.  I doubt that the boot loader cares, and no one
wants to actually execute the kernel when it's already running.

As for the world read permissions:  Removing the read permissions seems
like a gratuitious pseudo-security change.  Is there any reason to
prevent users from reading the kernel?  Presumably, /usr/src/sys is
readable anyhow, so a person could build their own kernel with the same
configuration, so they may as well just copy the running one.

Or, in other words -- if you are going to make a change, 0444 seems like
the way to go.