Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:42:28 +0000
From:      "Troy Settle" <Troy.Settle@usit.net>
To:        info@unitedventures.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question.

> Date:          Mon, 13 Jan 1997 03:07:07 -0500
> From:          Angelo Eatrides <uvc@netcom.ca>
> To:            freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject:       Question.

> Hello, I am currently seeking to download the FreeBSD program
> but I can't seem to make heads or tails of what I'm supposed to
> download from your ftp site due to my not knowing anything
> about this OS. If you could please tell me what essential files
> to download so that I can get my system up and running it would
> be much appreciated. Also, I am using win95 on a intel
> p120-16megs EDO, and want to know how to patition my drive. Is
> there a simple way I could do this and install this os in order
> to start learning how to use it? Thank you, Ang Eatrides
> E-mail: uvc@netcom.ca

For a comfortable minimum system, you'll need at least 400megs
to install FreeBSD.  At least part of this needs to reside
within the first 1023 cylinders of your HD.

As for what files you need to download to get started, it all
depends on what kind of internet connection you have.  Assuming
that you have PPP, all you need, is boot.flp from the floppies
directory, and RAWRITE.EXE from the tools directory.  Use
rawrite to create a boot floppy, which will allow you to do
initial configuration, select packages to install, connect to
the internet, and download your new system.

I would suggest that you keep your initial install to the bin
and manpages distribution, as this will be enough for you to
have a working system, and the info you need to get whatever
else you want.  You may find it easier to download the necessary
distribution files to your DOS partition, and install from
there.  More information can be found at http://www.freebsd.org

UNIX in any form is not for the feint of heart, but if you're
willing to learn, you'll find it quite rewarding, both as a
tool, and as an educational experience.

good luck,
Troy

PS:  I'm playing with a new email client, please let me know if
this post is FUBAR or not...  thanks :)
.signature files suck
http://www.public.usit.net/pitlord