Date:      Mon, 4 Apr 2005 06:57:06 +0400
From:      Andrey Chernov <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't change partition table anymore

--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 11:45:17AM +0930, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> Altering the MBR while you have a partition mounted is potentially quite=
=20
> dangerous.

Don't say "dangerous" for _root_ user. Is there any purpose left for being=
=20
root anymore? According to your logic, all root operations should be=20
disabled by some unknown undocumented sysctls because it is too dangerous=
=20
to be the root. Better kill yourself than to be the root.

> The reason it was possible in the past was because there was no protectio=
n=20
> against this kind of thing.

Does anybody asks for protection here? It was not me. It was not majority=
=20
of Unix sysadmins. Such kind of protection should be turned off by default=
=20
in case it even exists as the toy for some paranoid people.

> Use boot0cfg and the FreeBSD bootloader instead?

boot0cfg not works (I assume the reason is the same).

I can't write FreeBSD bootloader because reinstalled Windows overwrite it=
=20
with standard MBR and sysinstall don't allow to write bootloader anymore.=
=20
The only thing I not try yet in that situation was 'dd' - I was too lasy=20
to find needed byte.

--=20
http://ache.pp.ru/

--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb