Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 18:19:56 -0500
From:      Lee Cremeans <lee@st-lcremean.tidalwave.net>
To:        Thomas Valentino Crimi <tcrimi+@andrew.cmu.edu>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TGA card interrupts

On Sun, Oct 25, 1998 at 05:45:10PM -0500, Thomas Valentino Crimi wrote:

>   On probe the TGA card comes up   int a irq 11
>
> according to it's docs though, it does not handle interrupt requests, to
> further:

[documentation blurb stripped]

Intel PCs with PCI have this same problem...VGA cards (which almost _never_
need an IRQ) get assigned an IRQ unless the BIOS can be told not to do that.
I gather gfrom what you've written that the TGA does not generate interrupts
either, so doesn't need the IRQ.

PS: _Every_ PCI device gets assigned an IRQ whether it needs it or not. I'm
not sure if the spec actually says this, but in my experience with PCs, it
seems to be the way things work.

--
Lee Cremeans -- Manassas, VA, USA  (WakkyMouse on DALnet and WTnet)
A! JW223 YWD+++^ri P&B++ SL+++^i GDF B&M KK--i MD+++i P++ I++++ Did