Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 1997 23:08:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.oau.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Power

On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Bill Vermillion wrote:

> cords.  You'd be better off getting the building wired correctly.

That's really the most important part...  The space we rent for one of our
locations only had one circuit for the equipment room.  Originally there
were about 250 modems with those little power cubes, 5 UPSs, and a handful
of servers.  When we finally convinced the boss to bring in licensed
electricians, they pulled four circuits for about $400.  It was well worth
it.  Previous to the "upgrade" an outage would wreac havoc when the power
came back and all the UPSs wanted to recharge.

Some hints:

Hire real electricians (especially in NYC:)
Get about 4 times the power you think you'll need.  It's cheaper to do it
all at once.
Make em put in quad-boxes.
"Cross wire" the quad boxes (ie: circuit "A" on two plugs "B" on the
other, etc.) so you can spread the wealth.
Ask the boss after a big outage.

Charles Sprickman
spork@super-g.com
----
                           "I'm not a prophet or a stone-age man
                           Just a mortal with potential of a superman
                           I'm living on"      -DB