Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 2015 09:25:42 +0200
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Provided shared libraries not registering.

--kcWm1XRCFlugdj4WVsOmStAJ9Q5hsfDL6

On 02/10/2015 08:27, Kimmo Paasiala wrote:
> This came up on graphics/gdal but there could be others. It looks like
> pkg doesn't register provided shared libraries if the libraries lack
> an SONAME in their dynamic section. Was this changed on pkg 1.6 or has
> it always been like that? What it does now is that 'pkg check -d' will
> complain about missing shared libraries that are present and
> applications using those libraries work fine.

Yes, that was a deliberate choice.  Not all shared libraries are created
for sharing -- and some times it's hard to tell whether something is
meant to be a loadable module rather than a shared library.  In theory
these are quite different binary formats, but it seems many developers
don't appreciate the subtleties, and mix up the two.  It's a heuristic
that does as well as we could manage, but that doesn't mean there isn't
room for improvement.

The test on SONAME has been in the code for quite some time, certainly
since before pkg-1.5.0

	Cheers,

	Matthew