Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 1995 00:43:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jfieber@cs.smith.edu (John Fieber)
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: status of it all?

Wilko Bulte writes:
> I could be wrong, but it seems kinda silent around here..

Your perception is accurate.  I came down with the flu this
weekend and got to take some sick days.  I just spent most of the
day today ironing out some of the bugs in my rewrite of the
linuxdoc->html converter.  I'll get it added to FreeBSD-current
sometime this week along with the sgmls parser.

I've been focusing on getting the tools in shape because some
people (with good reasons) were none to please about having sgml
documentation and no tools in the tree to work with it...

Anyway, so the tools will be there, and the current FAQ directory
will be moved into /usr/share/doc.  There will be (at this point)
two subdiretories added to /usr/share/doc:

  FAQ - the current FAQ.
  handbook - the FreeBSD handbook, incorporating all the existing
     tutorials and various other documents.

I'm going to merge what I had initially set up as a separate user
and adiministration manual because of the difficulty of making
hypertext links between the two.  I also didn't care for that
line of division.  Instead there will be one handbook with 3 or
four parts.  I've fixed the html conversion so it handles large,
deeply nested sections much better.

> John: maybe there is something else I could write, apart from the
> SCSI stuff I sent you last week?

Rather than committing the changes in a place that would be
deleted in a week, I'm holding on to the new SCSI document till
it has a new home.

Hmm...  Just scanning through what I have here....

* Putting together a summary of important changes that will be in
2.1 (relative to 2.0 or 1.1.5.1?).  A good job for a
FreeBSD-current junkie.

* New installation docs.  Again, a good job for someone working
with current and the installation stuff in particular.  This bit
of is CRITICAL.

* Kernel configuration.  We got a good contribution for this one
with a promise for an update from the FreeBSD-current LINT file.
No follow through on the promise yet....

* Related to installation, the troubleshooting needs some serious
attention.  Instead of being a long list of "if xyz starts
smoking when I abc, then...", it needs to present some good
troubleshooting strategies that can be helpful for figuring out
new problems.

* Start compiling a glossary.

* Mail

* Printing

* Hardware compatibilty and reccomendations.  Someone should pick
Rod's brain for this one.

* and more, but my wife needs to use the phone, and I shouldn't
be up at 1:00 in the morning wthen I have the flu...

-john