Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:53:53 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        opentrax@email.com
Cc:        jhb@FreeBSD.ORG, msmith@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dedicated disks (was: Dangerously Dedicated)

[ ... on the impending death of "Dangerously Dedicated" ... ]

> > The only problem is that the issues _have_ been discussed in excruciating
> > detail many times.  I suggest you make use of the mail archives.
>
> Mr. Smith, if the issues have been hashed out as you say, the perhaps
> a document can be pointed that outlines these issue clearly.
> Your suggestion, while a fine one, has un-seen harm of people
> associating (harsh) discussion on the matter, rather than seeing
> the bluk of the matter. I've stated my opinion, that does not
> lessen yours. Could I expect that you might be able outline
> yours points in an enumerate list or bulletize format?

For:

o	In "Dangerously Dedicated" mode, some laptops will SPAM
	your FreeBSD partition when told to "suspend to disk"

o	You can not easily add another OS to an existing system,
	without a full backup and restore

o	Commerical boot managers have problems with it; this is
	an issue when you have FreeBSD on one "Dangerously
	Dedicated" disk, and anohter OS on a second disk

o	Commercial partition manipulation tools can not move
	disk contents around opaquely; this would still be a
	problem for OSs which hard code their kernel location
	in their second stage boot (does NetBSD still do this?),
	but would not be a problem for FreeBSD.  Example: the
	program "fips" can move Linux parititons around; the
	commercvial program "Partition Magic" from Power Quest
	supports Linux, but does not support FreeBSD (they go
	so far as to actually support EXT2FS manipulation).

o	An increasing number of BIOS will divide by 0 when they
	are attempting to implement LBA addressing.  These
	systems simply _can not boot_, given FreeBSD's fake DOS
	partition table in its disklabel

o	The FreeBSD fake DOS partition table does not pass a
	number BIOS-based self-consistency checks (it needs to
	be fixed -- feel free to bell the cat), and so systems
	which use these checks in the BIOS to protect against
	boot sector virus infestation _can not boot_.

Against:

o	Some fictitious geometries are fictionalized in the
	controller, and are opaque through one interface, but
	not another.  The only way these can work is if the
	linear array of bytes starts at 0,0,0.  Example: WD1007
	ESDI controller, without jumper J2 set.  These systems
	can be set up using non-default tools (in point of fact,
	I have _always_ had to use NetBSD's tools to setup these
	systems: FreeBSD's tools have _never_ worked for them,
	even in "Dangerously Dedicated" mode; after partitioning
	using NetBSD, FreeBSD can be isntalled normally).

o	Existing "Dangerously Dedicated" systems.  This is really
	not an issue, since what is being removed is the ability
	to create them with the default tools, not the ability to
	boot from existing systems after an upgrade.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.