Date:      Fri, 07 Feb 1997 09:13:14 -0800
From:      Craig Shaver <craig@progroup.com>
To:        "<Ajith Asela Pasqual.>" <pasqual@hal.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ST32155W - Not detected during probing!! HELP!!

>On Thu, 6 Feb 1997 21:15:28 -0800 (PST), "Craig Shaver" <craig@ProGroup.COM> said:
>
> >> I've partitioned the disk for Win95 (C:) and for FreeBSD (D:). At this momment
>
> > How did you do the partition?  Did you use some utility on the controller?
>
> Using fdsik. (1 Primary DOS and the other Extended - I plan to delete it for
> freebsd but I could not go that far -:()

The question is "which fdisk did you use?"?  Did you boot dos,
and then use the dos fdisk program, or did you use a utility
from the 2940 bios?  I.e., did dos see the disk?  (probably did
since the controller is accessed through the bios from dos, right?)

> > Hmmmm, first thing I would do, would be to set the target on the seagate
> > to id#0, and the target on the cdrom to id#6.  Is this cdrom a wide device?
> > Or do you have the connector to do wide->scsi II?  I have a 2940uw on the
> > shelf, and it can do scsi 2 and wide on different cables.  hmmmmm.
>
>  No!! It is not wide. When I boot for the first time it gave that message :
> Cannot initaie WIDE negotiation. So I set the WIDE negotiation to "no"
> When I boot from 2.2-GAMMA it displays the message that internal50 and
> internal68 cable is present. (I guess this is for non wide and wide)
>
> > ok, anyway, the reason I would move the id# to 0 would be because I have
> > run into problems with the ncr driver.  In spots the ncr driver does a
> > target mask using hex 0x07, instead of hex 0x0f.  That meant that targets
> > 8 - 15 were unusable.  I am guessing here.

Can you detail the physical setup?  What cables are attached and how?
What jumpers do you have on the hard disk?

> Ajith Pasqual  - Dept of Info. & Comm. Eng., Univ. of Tokyo.
> Email:pasqual@hal.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp (WWW)http://www.hal.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~pasqual/

Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088