Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 23:08:14 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Francisco Reyes <reyesf@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>, "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>, "freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD advocacy

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Francisco Reyes wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Jul 1998 18:19:20 -0400 (EDT), Bill/Carolyn Pechter wrote:
>
>I don't know how we ended up with 3 BSDs, but it would be great if at
>least some parts of the efforts from all 3 groups could be combined.

Snipped most of the stuff to get to the point. Jordan gave me a short
reply to a very lengthy email on this subject once.

I was asking about a complete recombination of BSD's to strengthen the
user base and bring in ideas. A complete recombination of the free BSD's
is no fun. If I can loosely quote Jordan, "diffing sources is not as much
fun as new development."

The BSD's already share some things. The ports mechanisms and CVS are
common. I have seen beaucoup references to other BSD's in various sources
and make files.

I think some of OpenBSD's security measures are novel. I know enough about
crypto to probably enjoy OpenBSD. Maybe on day FreeBSD can incorporate
their ideas.

I after hearing Jordan's argument I would have to say that there is more
than enough room for all of us on the net. I also think that there is a
fundamental benefit to diversity in all things, including free software,
and BSDs in particular.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/