Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 02:42:41 -0400
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Perl 5.6.0?

On Sun, Apr 02, 2000 at 05:56:22PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
>
> > Are there any plans to merge perl-5.6.0 into current?  I don't have any
> > plans for using it currently, but I curious.
>
> Hmm.  What with the nightmarish build structure of perl, I'm sure that
> reading this is just going to wreck Mark's day.  In light of that, and in
> the absence of both any real software that needs the upgrade, and
> lack of confidence in a really squeaky new release, why don't we all grant
> Mark a little slack on this, at least for a while.

I've been running Perl 5 since before it was included with FreeBSD, and
I've never noticed anything nightmarish about the build process.  I
tried 5.6 a couple of days ago, and it built and tested out of the
box.
--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/