Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 22:36:08 +1030 (CST)
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPD terminal server on FreeBSD, NATD

In article <68q3rt$cm7$1@al.imforei.apana.org.au> you wrote:

>> I still don't know yet if FreeBSD will scale to a 32 port terminal
>> server with the SIO driver and cheap multiport serial cards like the
>> one I use, but with no efficiency loss on 2 ports, it has some hope.

> I have a 686-200 with 1 16-port cyclades and 2 TC-800 (Byterunners).
> The main problem I have is with mpd running really hard, taking 6% of CPU,
> trying to serve 3 downstream small ISPs all at peak time.  In other words,
> for normal use, using kernel pppd, the TC-800 from Byterunner is fine.

 FWIW our 486dx33/8mb ram with 2 16-port cyclades cards + a dumb
 4 port card + 2 onboard ports = 38 ports works ok as a
 _terminal server_   We managed to pick the Cyclades up for around
 $AUS 700 each new in May96 so all I can say is _impressive_

 We usually have 9-10 slip/cslip connections, 2 kernel ppp, 3 or 4
 permenant's via userppp and 7 lines for dialup userppp.  Some
 basic subnet routing is handled by gated..

 This seems ok, although it could probably use some more tweaking.  We
 had some problems with it initially, but once we moved it from
 2.1-RELEASE to 2.1.5-STABLE it firmed up.  61 days uptime at current,
 and for probably a year it hasn't had a _unplanned_ reboot.

 Some of the ports on this box run _flat_ strap all day, and it does
 an brilliant job (ie one newsfeed running full throttle).  Its
 my gateway to the internet from home and I don't have a problem with
 it at all!

 I've installed FreeBSD on a 386sx/8mb with two modems hanging off
 it that was a dns server, samba server, and dialup server for a
 commercial site (*groan*) -- it did very well considering :)

 Peter

--
 Peter Childs - finger pjchilds@al.imforei.apana.org.au for PGP public key

     We are FreeBSD, resistance is related to current and voltage...