Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 01:11:00 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Karl Agee" <kdagee2@yahoo.com>, "newbies" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Tri-City Linux user group" <3clug@tricity.wsu.edu>
Subject:   RE: ammo to take to the boss...

First, please CC the Advocacy list with this stuff!

Second, I think the article is an excellent paper for "presenting
to the boss" it is every bit as good as the papers that Sun puts
out that say Solaris is the most popular, and the papers that
Microsoft puts out that say that Microsoft is the most popular, etc.

However the paper does have a fatal flaw that all of these kinds of
whitpapers have.  It cites study after study but it does not (for
the most part) cite who comissioned the study, and who bankrolls the
group doing the study.

With commercial market surveys of these type, most of the so-called
"market research" firms that do them have 1 of 2 goals.  First, they
are doing the study under comission by a client.  Naturally, the
study is going to arrive at the conclusions that the client wants.
The whole point of paying the market research firm is to be able to
cite them as proof that the study your waving around to your prospective
customers is legitimate.

The second goal is that the market research firm does a study with
the hope of peddling it to someone in the industry.  For example they
might do a study that comes to the conclusion that "BSD is the fastest
growing OS used in embedded systems" then post a synopsis of it.  Their
goal in that case would be to peddle the details of the study to
someone like Wind River.

All of the market research firm studies cited in the article are basically
propaganda devices that are useless.  The reason is that if you contact
each of those firms they will not release the names of who they actually
surveyed.  Thus there is no way for a 3rd party to audit the study, by
checking with some of the users that the research firm communicated with
to find out if the surveyed users really and truly said what the study
claims they said.

In summary, the research firms all claim to be statistically scientific
but they don't publish any way of being able to repeat the study and
arrive at the same conclusions that they did.  Without the ability to
have repeatibility the information isn't factual or verifyable.  Also
without knowing where the money came from that funded the study, it's
impossible to determine if there was any bias that affected the results of
the study.