Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:22:03 -0800
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andrew Duane <aduane@juniper.net>
Cc:        "mips@freebsd.org" <mips@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problems building an OCTEON1 kernel

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 08:18, Andrew Duane <aduane@juniper.net> wrote:

> I've just set up a new sandbox from our local mirror, and I'm trying to b=
uild an OCTEON1 kernel for testing on a local platform. I followed the inst=
ructions from the MIPS Wiki page, which had worked before for me. However, =
now, when I try to "make buildkernel" (after "make kernel-toolchain"), ever=
y file compiled gives:

> =A0Assembler messages:
> =A0Warning: A different -march was already specified, is now octeon
>
> I'm sure that's because the cc line has -march=3Dmips64, but then near th=
e end has -march=3Docteon -mabi=3D64, and sounds benign. But, at the end:

> =A0linking kernel.debug
> =A0hack.So: could not read symbols: File in wrong format
> =A0*** Error code 1

Can you please E-Mail me off-list the complete list of arguments
you're passing to make or environment variables you're setting for it
as well as the kernel build output before link-time?

Thanks,
Juli.