Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 14:01:41 +0100
From:      Rob Schofield <schofiel@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD-R and Scanner recomendations for CD archiving of records?

Open Systems Networking wrote:

> Rob,
>
> What you say above is probably true. But I think you have just backed up
> my 2nd post about using a more reliable media than CD-R like punchcards.

Sorry, I think I missed that!

> I mean look at all the work involved in your steps above to do archiving.
> reliably :)

{8^D

> It would be MUCH easier, and more reliable for me anyway to just grab a
> SCSI DAT drive and archive away.

Currently the best, most economical choice in my opinion.

> I dont mean to tear down your obvious
> love of CD-R, but your guidelines are like that of windows. You can run
> windows reliably! Just only run it on tuesdays, BUT you have to have a
> black cat ON the monitor, AND it has to be past sunset!! And some holy
> water never hurts :)

{8^D Well said! Naw, to be honest, I hate the damn things. They are just
another way for people to break copyright without breaking into a sweat
{8^(

I wouldn't recommend them for either archive or backup. The cost is too
high compared to other media forms. Plus, they really aren't suited to
bulk storage - have you tried stacking the damn cases (which you DO
need, unfortunately)? Considering You can only stash 4 X 640M in a
volume equivalent to a box of 20, 4G DAT tapes, I think that says it
all!

Reality is, they are only useful for prototyping program delivery
packages, etc. before you go to bulk production of the final
distribution media.

> I still say after my CD-R problems it's a better choice to just use a SCSI
> DAT tape drive. More storage, and will last far longer in my opinion than
> CD-R which is aparently quite finicky for more people than just myself.

The problem is the power reaching the drives, which has to be
hyper-smooth (have you ever seen the current spike on a 5V line caused
by a modern disk performing a long cross-disk seek? Think of
Everest/Buzz saw, you're along the right lines) and the production
tolerances for the laser focussing; to deliver enough energy to the disk
surface with a cheapo diode, it has to be pretty tightly focussed, which
means the "spot size" is a bit titchy compared to the etched pits seen
on press-mastered bulk CD ROM media. Readers like big, fat spots
whizzing past to give 'em time to focus (or get their bifocals back on
{8^). Net results? "Disk not readable" or some such.....

> But as I said it's just my opinion! :)

... and genteely welcome to it! Nice one, Chris ;^)