Date:      Fri, 08 Jan 1999 12:33:41 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        Mike Zanker <A.M.Zanker@open.ac.uk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving from 2.2.8-STABLE to ELF 3.0-CURRENT (success)

On Fri, 08 Jan 1999 09:41:45 GMT, Mike Zanker wrote:

> I thought that I would share my experiences of moving from 2.2.8-STABLE to
> 3.0-CURRENT ELF in the hope that it may help or encourage anyone still wary
> of making the change.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm busy doing this myself and it looks
like we both chose the same upgrade plan.

> So far so good, so I did an aout-to-elf-build - which went OK - and an
> aout-to-elf-install. The only problem I had following the reboot was that
> some of the aout libraries from /usr/local/lib didn't get moved to
> /usr/local/lib/aout.

Can you tell us exactly what you mean by "some of the aout libraries
... didn't get moved"? Judging from the timestamps on those files,
can you determine whether they were libraries generated during the
aout-to-elf installation, or whether they were leftovers from your
RELENG_3_0_0_RELEASE build?

If they were leftovers, then we're probably talking "acceptable
behaviour" on this one. If they were installed by the aout-to-elf
install, then it's something John Birrell might be interested in
hearing.

Ciao,
Sheldon.