Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:07:15 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl
Cc:        archie@whistle.com, dfr@nlsystems.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS, the time has come...

> > I agree.. and same thing goes for Ethernet drivers. I actually
> > like the way Linux always has "eth0", "eth1", ... (which we could
>
> Yeagh... what is wrong with ed0, de0, fxp0 etc that needs changing? Is this
> just a matter of taste or is there more to it? I for one don't see any
> advantage in eth[0-9] style device naming.

I can give you one example. We run a FreeBSD box here which receives
all of the traffic (port mirroring) from some Ethernet switches. On
the FreeBSD box, we run nnstat, tcpdump etc. for monitoring purposes.

Recently I changed some of the DEC 21x4x based cards on this box to
Intel cards. Thus the interface names changed from deN to fxpN. This
meant we had to update a bunch of Perl and shell scripts. It would
have been much nicer (no need to update) if the interfaces were simply
named ethN.

Personally, I'd also prefer to have IDE disks named daN, but that's
another matter...