Date:      Wed, 2 May 2001 17:40:24 -0400
From:      Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linksys wireless access point

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 02:27:44PM -0700, Darryl Okahata wrote:
> Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
>
> > sorry.  i'm not using any encryption at all.
>
>      Urg.  You do realize what kind of gaping security hole this is,
> right?

i don't do anything over the network thats important and not encrypted anyway.

>      That said, the output of wicontrol would be useful, as well as
> every setting that the linksys access point reports or allows you to
> change.

here's the output of wicontrol (right now it's connected to another network,
but the settings are the same i'm using to try to connect to the linksys.
note that when i try to connect to the linksys, it finds the SSID and selects
the proper channel)

[rooneg@marcus ~]$ wicontrol
NIC serial number:                      [ 00UT33370208 ]
Station name:                           [ FreeBSD WaveLAN/IEEE node ]
SSID for IBSS creation:                 [ FreeBSD IBSS ]
Current netname (SSID):                 [ psiu ]
Desired netname (SSID):                 [  ]
Current BSSID:                          [ 00:60:1d:23:be:7c ]
Channel list:                           [ 2047 ]
IBSS channel:                           [ 10 ]
Current channel:                        [ 1 ]
Comms quality/signal/noise:             [ 11 71 60 ]
Promiscuous mode:                       [ Off ]
Port type (1=BSS, 3=ad-hoc):            [ 1 ]
MAC address:                            [ 00:02:2d:08:ad:a1 ]
TX rate (selection):                    [ 3 ]
TX rate (actual speed):                 [ 11 ]
RTS/CTS handshake threshold:            [ 2347 ]
Create IBSS:                            [ Off ]
Access point density:                   [ 1 ]
Power Mgmt (1=on, 0=off):               [ 0 ]
Max sleep time:                         [ 100 ]
WEP encryption:                         [ Off ]
TX encryption key:                      [ 1 ]
Encryption keys:                        [  ][  ][  ][  ]
[rooneg@marcus ~]$

the only configuration options on the access point related to wireless are
simply 'on/off', which is set to on, obviously, ESSID, which is set to
'linksys', the default they shipped it with, channel, which is set to 6, also
the default they shipped it with, WEP (manditory or disable), which is set to
disable, and then some options for setting WEP keys and choosing the active
key, all of which are empty, since i'm not using WEP.

> Other comments:
>
> * Have you tried upgrading the firmware in the access point (if this is
>   even possible)?

as far as i can tell, it is possible to upgrade the firmware, but i am
already using the most current version.  (at least there aren't any updates on
linksys's web page or on their ftp site)

> * You did explicitly set the (FreeBSD) laptop's wi0 network name to be
>   the same as that used by the linksys, right?  Note that I'm talking
>   about the network name, and not the access point name.
>
>   [ If, for some strange reason, the linksys doesn't support changing
>     the network name, and doesn't tell you what it is, have you tried
>     using the WaveLan WaveManager software under Windows to see what
>     network name the access point is using?  ]

i've tried both setting it to the same as the one used by the linksys (it
defaults to 'linksys') and leaving it set to 'ANY', so it will go to any
network it can find.

--
garrett rooney                     Unix was not designed to stop you from
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net       doing stupid things, because that would