Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2017 15:37:52 +0100
From:      Bertram Scharpf <lists@bertram-scharpf.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X crash

On Monday, 20. Mar 2017, 13:04:18 +0100, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15. Mar 2017, 23:22:21 +0100, Bertram Scharpf wrote:
> > [...] I upgraded the packages on
> > my desktop machine, and -- voila -- it crashes and
> > reboots as soon as I start Xorg.
>
> I detected that when I comment out the driver line in
> "xorg.conf", X crashes no longer.
>
>   Section "Device"
>       Identifier  "Card0"
>       # Driver      "intel"
>       BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
>
> As far as I see in the log file, the driver still is loaded.
> Of course, as the system crashes immediately, I cannot diff
> the log file against the configuration causing the
> bad behaviour.
>
> The port "x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel" has been updated two
> weeks ago. There must be some relation.
>
> What can I do to diagnose this problem?

Now I see on the freebsd-x11 mailing list that there is a
bug indeed and that it is going to be solved.

  <https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2017-March/018982.html>;

Thank you all for your help, especially those pointing me to
handbook pages or quoting calendar mottos ("Before pointing
the finger at FreeBSD, remind yourself that you will then
have four fingers pointing at yourself.").

Bertram

--
Bertram Scharpf
Stuttgart, Deutschland/Germany