Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:08:30 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Sean_Welch@alum.wofford.org
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA patch and others

Hi Sean,

> I recompiled and installed the kernel and it now boots to
> the point of hanging after the "Updating motd." message.
> It doesn't seem to be looking at etc/ttys yet, but at least
> it is now producing a var/run/dmesg.boot !

 Hmmm, I'm not sure what's happening here: you may need to put some debug in the
shell scripts to see where/why it's hanging.

 Here's what my iBook spits out just after these lines:

Updating motd.
sendmail: execing /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail: No such file or directory
sendmail: execing /usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail: No such file or directory
Initial powerpc initialization:.
Additional ABI support:.
Local package initialization:.
Additional TCP options:.
Starting cron.
Starting background file systems checks in 60 seconds.

Thu Feb 27 10:59:28 GMT 2003

FreeBSD/powerpc (Amnesiac) (screen)

login:

> I tried booting without the files from under
> /usr/src/etc/etc.sparc64 and the ttys file I already had
> as it was, with that ttys file containing an ofwcons line
> (a'la Drew), the files from etc.sparc64 without ofwcons
> in ttys, and once more with ofwcons in the new ttys file.
> I got the same result in each case.

 You need the sparc 64 ttys file - the name of the console was
changed recently from 'ofwcons' to 'screen'.

later,

Peter.