Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 01:31:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>
To:        Ask Bjoern Hansen <ask@valueclick.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, <hubs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: load distribution

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:

> On Thu, 3 May 2001, Gordon Tetlow wrote:
>
> > At this rate, we are going to nail the magic number of 8 primary
> > first-tier mirrors for the ftp.freebsd.org round-robin. After that
> > the load gets weird with some machines getting more load than
> > others. It would probably be beneficial to use ultra-dns or some
> > other closest hop first technology. Has anyone taken a look at it?
> > or did I just volunteer myself?
>
> For ftp.perl.org (and ftp-dist.apache.org, but that's not announced
> yet or well populated with mirrors) I've made a name server that sends
> you to one of the mirrors in your country[1], or failing that on the
> same continent as you.
>
> If I in some automated way can get a list of mirrors with their
> country and (optionally) a weighting it's very easy to add support for
> ftp.freebsd.org.
>
>   http://sourceforge.net/projects/dinamed/

Actually, I like the supersparrow project better, it pulls info from bgp
tables and goes from there. This approximates even better and you don't
have to figure out what IP block goes where. I'm not exactly sure how well
it works, but it looks kinda cool. Checkout
http://supersparrow.sourceforge.net/ (I think that's the url) and
http://sourceforge.net/projects/supersparrow/ (again, I think). If those
are wrong, just search for super sparrow on sourceforge.

A site that I know uses it is: http://www.kainx.org/

-gordon