Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 20:43:46 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp.cdrom.com limits ftp bandwidth ?

>  My network is so logically close to California that most times it's
>faster to fetch things from ftp.cdrom.com than from other parts of
>Brasil.  And I have always considered ftp speed measurements from
>ftp.cdrom.com as a theoretical top limit on single connection bandwidth.
>
>  When we first had our 2M international channel I tested the speed and
>it was 34kBps for a single ftp transfer.  It was not a limit on the
>link, because I could open a second (and third, and fourth) simultaneous
>ftp and get the same 34kBps.  So I thought that was the TCP window
>limit for Rio de Janeiro <-> California links.
>
>  But yesterday (when miraculously we got full speed again), a friend
>could get things from other places in USA at 50kBps and above rates.
>I first thought that something changed in our international link and went
>ftp.cdrom.com to test.  Just to get the same 34kBps.  So, it seems to me
>that this 34kBps limit is particular to ftp.cdrom.com.
>
>  Is this a software limit on DG's ftpd ?  Or just a side effect from
>the relatively small window used on ftp.cdrom.com to conserve memory ?
>Or maybe http traffic has some performance advantage over ftp traffic ?
>(I'm not complaining, I'm just curious.  I would love if I could get
>34kBps everyday and everytime.  :) )

   None of the above. The window is the 16KB default (and no, I do not plan
to increase that), and we have no bandwidth limiting or other silliness. A
ttcp test down to San Diego just now shows about 850KB/sec...it would be
higher if the RTT was smaller (it's about 17ms).
   There are three explainations I can offer: 1) the RTT is sufficiently
high that it is limiting the performance to the level that you are seeing -
I'm seeing about 250ms right now to your gateway, or 2) congestion has become
a problem again at MAE-west where the traffic is interchanged between CRL and
cerf.net, or 3) there is enough packet reordering over CRL's aggregated
MAE-west circuits that it is magnifying the effect of the large RTT and
reducing the performance. Of these, I think this last possibility is the
most likely.

-DG

David Greenman