Date:      Mon, 17 Oct 2005 20:38:18 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.0 release date and stability

At 07:46 PM 15/10/2005, Brett Glass wrote:
>The release schedule for FreeBSD 6.0, on the FreeBSD Web site, doesn't show a
>projected date for the finished product.  How close is it?

My guess, very soon.  But for me, RELENG_6 has been small 's' stable
for some time.  Got with 6.0R when it comes out.

>We're running our own tests on RC1, but don't have a lot of spare servers to
>try it on. So, it's worth asking: How stable is RC1 turning out to be on
>uniprocessor platforms?

Very.  We have our inbound mail servers running RELENG_6 in UP
boxes.  Have several spamscanners running clamav and SpamAssassin
processing millions of messages.  Works as expected

>  On SMP platforms? How is network and disk performance
>relative to 4.11?

Two of our scanners in the cluster are SMP boxes-- dual core AMD
running in 386 mode and an Intel D830.  Both work really well, and
take quite a load against them network / cpu wise.  Lots of threads
running.  Also have FAST_IPSEC clients and a server running RELENG_6
from around Beta 1.

>performance were worse than that of 4.11.) With what known problems is 6.0
>likely to ship, and of these which are likely to impact uniprocessor systems?
>Are any "showstopper" bugs merely being worked around for release?

There are always bugs... Even RELENG_4 has them, but the question to
ask is how common are they and will they impact the hardware you
use.  I have mostly Intel ICH5-7 boxes, an Intel 6300ESB, and one ATI
based board (AMD64) running IDE drives, an ARECA Sata RAID card and
numerous 3ware based cards.  All work really well.  There are some
open PRs (some with patches / fixes even) that I have to work around,
but most people wont run into them.

         ---Mike