Date:      Wed, 9 Jul 1997 16:28:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@r2d2.smlab.com>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: limit socket connections on 2.1.7

On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Tom wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Mike Nowlin wrote:
>
> > I'd like to limit the number of incoming TCP connections to a range of
> > port numbers (8000-8999).  ("Limit port 8000 to 4 connections, 8001 to 10
> > connections, and 8002 to 13 connections" type of thing...)
>
>   This type of thing is normally done at the application level, not in the
> kernel.  Whatever application you are using, should not open more
> connections than you want.

Yea -- normally I'd do it that way...  HOWEVER......

This is being used for a "for sale by connection" service, where the
customers have access to their source code...  I sell them a TCP port,
they run their software on it.......  I could require they put a certain
block of code in their programs that restrict the number of connections,
but that would be a bit difficult to monitor/enforce.........

Mike