Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2020 14:21:37 -0500
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating BIOS

--Sig_/BGjziT4r9OFep3M46nGv/E4

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 06:10:28 -0800, Martin Glazer stated:
>I use a program called truedos it's freeware it boots from a USB
>drive. I put the updated bios from Dell onto the USB drive and book
>the computer from it. And just execute the bios update from there.

I never found that program; however, I did find FreeDOS, which I have
used in the past. In any case, it turns out I didn't need any of those
applications. Apparently Dell has updated the way a BIOS is updated. I
simple needed to clean and format a USB device -- fat 32 seems to be
what is required and then place the BIOS update program downloaded from
Dell onto the stick. Reboot and press F12. A screen comes up and one of
the options is to FLASH the BIOS. I chose that options. At this point
the mouse becomes inoperative. A screen appears and the name of the
file I placed on the USB stick is shown. Using the TAB key, I highlight
that file and then move to the INSTALL option. Everything is automated
from that point on.

I wish all of my systems were that easy to update.

--=20
Jerry