Date:      Thu, 09 Jul 1998 14:24:54 +0200
From:      Tom Fischer <tfischer@panoramix.rain.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        spindler@rain.fr
Subject:   Help! restore across multiple tapes.

Hello,

I'm having a problem doing an interactive restore from a dump
made across two DAT tapes.  I start the restore with the first
tape, and everything goes fine until I get asked for the second
tape.  Once the restore starts reading from the second tape, I
get the following error message:

	You have read volumes: 1
	Specify next volume #: 2
	Mount tape volume 2
	Enter ``none'' if there are no more tapes
	otherwise enter tape name (default: /dev/nrst16)
	Wrong dump date
        	got: Fri Jun 19 18:38:13 1998
        	wanted: Fri Jun 19 15:19:56 1998
	You have read volumes: 1

Apparently, when dumping, a new dump date is written to the
second tape which reflects the current time.  Unfortunately for
me, the restore wants to see the original dump date?

I get the same error if I try to start the restore from the
second tape and work backwards (as is suggested by the restore).

I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.6-STABLE, and am trying to restore from
a DAT drive mounted remotely on a Sun 4.1.3_U1 system...

Any words of wisdom, guidance, sympathy, will be accepted gratefully.

Thanks in advance,

tom

tfischer@rain.fr