Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:49:56 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Have the device names for hard discs been changed? (fwd)

--nextPart6397793.vQLJMmRt7y

On Monday 30 January 2006 15:27, Ken Bolingbroke wrote:
> You start out with a disk, /dev/ad6, and you "dangerously dedicate" it,
> then you _should_ have 's1' appended to /dev/ad6 to make /dev/ad6s1.  But
> for some reason, it's appending it to /dev/ad6c instead to make
> /dev/ad6cs1, and then sysinstall tries to label the disk with /dev/ad6cs1=
c,
> etc, and fails. (Note the _two_ 'c' characters in that device name)
>
> My work around so far is after using fdisk in sysinstall to "dangerously
> dedicate" my disk, I exit, then "rm /dev/ad6cs1", then go back to
> sysinstall and label the disk, and then it will correctly use /dev/ad6s1.

If you're using 5.x or 6.x which have devfs, it would point to a bug in geo=
m=20
(or somewhere in the kernel anyway) as the device names are generated insid=
e=20
the kernel.

Personally I'd just stick to not using dangerously dedicated.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum