Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 1995 17:29:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@eng.umd.edu>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcl-7.4 / tk-4.0

On Fri, 29 Sep 1995, Satoshi Asami wrote:

> What should we do with these little beasts?  I first let them generate
> shared libtcl.so.7.4 and libtk.so.4.0, and then I found out that old
> tcl/tk programs don't compile anymore (because ld will pick up the
> newer versions automatically).  So I renamed them to libtcl74.so.1.0
> and libtk40.so.1.0, and added "74" and "40" to the -l lines of the new
> ports...then it was pointed out to me that since the new ports
> overwrite tcl.h and tk.h, we can't compile the old stuff unless we
> revert the headers back.  Ack.
>
> We can change the headers to tcl74.h and tk40.h and go playing the
> same trick, but I don't think that's the right solution.  For one
> thing, it's ugly.  Another is that new ports will come out for tcl-7.4
> and tk-4.0, and we don't want to keep fixing them forever, as they
> would all like to include tk.h and link against -ltk.  This has to
> stop sometime.
>
> Note that with the libtcl.so.7.4 and libtk.so.4.0 scheme, old programs
> will still run, it's just that you can't compile them anymore with the
> newer versions sitting around.
>
> One "solution" is to admit that this is not going to work and put a
> big banner in red, green and purple that funny things will happen if
> you try to compile the old ports with the new stuff instaled.  I don't
> think many people keep going back and forth compiling stuff, for
> package building, I can live with a few top-down "make" runs with DUDS
> and stuff.

I vote for the last solution.  That way, when each of us decides that
they want to upgrade to a newer tcl version (as we all most likely will
sooner or later), all the software is in the right place.  I think I'll
also post a complaint to the tcl newsgroup about how hard it is to live
with the instability, without some allowance being made in the build
strategy.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |