Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 1996 08:37:09 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        bugs@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/1145: tftpd should support -s

:   But, why does tftpd need "-s"?

1) It is more secure than the normal tftpd because you know for sure
that it will not be able to get any files that aren't in the chrooted
tree.  With directory prefixes you don't turn off following things
through symbolic links, which is a minor security exposure that many
people don't wish to expose their machines to.

2) I have a bunch of X terms that are hard to configure such that it
will add the /usr/tftpboot or whatever on the front of them.  There
are other aps that I have as well that are hard if not impossible to
reconfigure, and this solves that problem nicely.

Warner