Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2000 23:45:44 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bobj@ufl.edu>
To:        kirk@alaptech.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail to win98 question

> Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 10:29:42 -0800
> From: Kirk Brogdon <kirk@alaptech.com>
> Subject: Re: sendmail to win98 question
>
> On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 10:13:01AM +0200, Johan Pettersson wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Kirk Brogdon wrote:
> >
> > > I need to know the best way to get a win 98 box with netscape to retrieve
> > > from my 4.1 box (besides blowing it away and installing freebsd).  Sendmail
> > > and dns are working fine now (finally) but I need the win98 boxes to
> > > retrieve from both the fbsd box and my isp's mail account (imap).
> > >

> > You need a POP3 daemon (qpopper, cucipop, ..) on the fbsdbox.
> >
> > Johan
> >
> Is there an imap daemon available?  Netscape will allow
> multiple imap servers but only one pop3 (at least from what
> I can tell).  I need to be able to access both accounts for the time
> being.  There is some imap stuff in the ports but I didn't
> want to install anything that might hose up sendmail.
>
> Thanks for the help and apologies for my ignorance/laziness.
>
> Kirk

Yes.  Cyrus does both POP3 and IMAP, plus a few other features
useful for an enterprise mail server.  It is probably
overkill for what you describe.  It can be very confusing
to install the first time you do it.  It does require
that you modify your sendmail configuration.

The uw-imap package also does both IMAP and POP, and is
much easier to set up (in a recent FBSD, it should
require no configuration other than maybe editing
/etc/inetd.conf), but it is probably not as suitable as
Cyrus if you have a huge number of users (thousands). It
doesn't sound like that is an issue for you. ;)  It does
not alter sendmail operation.  You may need to edit
/etc/pam.conf to get pop and imap logins to work: the
port description file explains what lines to add.

Both are in the ports in the mail directory, e.g.
/usr/ports/mail/imap-uw.

The one thing to worry about with UW IMAP is that it has
a history of security problems.  If this server will be
connected to the Internet, it would be wise to subscribe
to some mailing list that will alert you if a new one is
discovered.  FreeBSD Security Alerts is probably suitable.

As you might have guessed, I've used both for various
purposes, and I'm happy with both, although Cyrus using
pwcheck for authentication can choke when your user
count is measured in tens of thousands...

- Bob