Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 02:30:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@serv.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Second attempt] @Home and FreeBSD 4.0.

Gort is a 4.0-RELEASE box that I'd like to set up on my new @Home cable modem,
and serve as a router for my home LAN.  (I used to have DSL, but I moved and
wound up [in spite of reassurances by Qworst that I was going to be eligible
BEFORE I closed on the new house] "too far away" from the CO.)

Obviously, the plan here is to set up dhcp, natd and ipfw on Gort.  But I'm
having problems just getting Gort talking to @Home.  On the other hand, my
Macintosh talks with the @Home service just fine.

First of all, here's my /etc/dhclient.conf file.  Please excuse the elided
bits; I'm not sure what should be kept private and what shouldn't:

	interface "xl0" {
		send host-name "[@Home assigned hostname]";
	}

The bit in brackets is the hostname they gave me for the service, and the Mac
uses it successfully.  But here's what happens when I run dhclient:

	gort# dhclient
	Listening on BPF/xl0/[MAC addr]
	Sending on   BPF/xl0/[MAC addr]
	Sending on   Socket/fallback/fallback-net
	ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCDIFADDR): Can't assign requested address
	DHCPDISCOVER on xl0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
	DHCPDISCOVER on xl0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
	DHCPOFFER from [new IP address group].1
	DHCPREQUEST on xl0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
	DHCPACK from [new IP address group].1
	dhclient: New IP Address(xl0): [new IP address group].253
	dhclient: New Subnet Mask (xl0): 255.255.255.0
	dhclient: New Broadcast Address(xl0): [new IP address group].255
	dhclient: New Routers: [new IP address group].1
	bound to [new IP address group].253 -- renewal in 302400 seconds
	gort# _

Now, I'm new to this, but it looks successful to me.  I have a new address
blah.blah.blah.253, a new router blah.blah.blah.1, and so forth.  But now when
I try to ping my router:

	gort# ping [router IP address]
	PING [router IP address] ([router IP address]): 56 data bytes
	ping: sendto: Permission denied
	ping: sendto: Permission denied
	ping: sendto: Permission denied
	^C
	--- [router IP address] ping statistics ---
	gort# _

And that happens no matter what address I use, even addresses I *know* will
respond to a ping.  I can't telnet to a hostname, because I get:

	gort# telnet [hostname]
	[hostname]: Temporary failure in name resolution
	gort# _

which is probably because of this:

	gort# nslookup [anything at all]
	*** Can't find server name for address 24.0.224.33: No response from se\
rver
	*** Can't find server name for address 24.0.224.34: No response from se\
rver
	*** Default servers are not available
	gort# _

So it appears that I can get a DHCP session going.  That's perfectly
repeatable.  Turn off cable modem, kill the dhclient process, turn on the cable
modem and wait for handshaking, start the dhclient process.  Successful
handshake.  After that, I don't get *anything*.

Any ideas?  I've followed pretty much any set of instructions I've found for
FreeBSD and @Lame on the Web, but all of them seem to imply that I'm doing
everything right.

Thanks in advance.

							---Ken