Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 23:48:36 +0200
From:      wcp@luppolo.lpds.sublink.org (Walter C. Pelissero)
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   old motherboard don't run FreeBSD

Today I tried to install FreeBSD 2.1 (local reseller still don't have
the 2.2.1) on a old Ti 486/40.  All went well. When I try to bootstrap
from hard disk it shows the boot prompt and then reports a "Read
error".  If I move that hard disk to a Pentium or newer 486/133
machine it works as it should.  I made a try with a FreeBSD 2.0 boot
floppy but that time the "Read error" message comes up immediately
bootstrapping from floppy disk.

I found the that the "Read error" message is printed by
/usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot/start.S but nothing more.

What can I do to make this old motherboard accept FreeBSD?

Any help will be appreciated.