Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 19:26:51 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI tape drives

User GregGreg Shenaut writes:
> In message <199809100630.XAA08373@freebie.dcfinc.com> "Chad R. Larson" writes
> :
> : Does anyone here have any experience with SCSI Travan drives under
> : FreeBSD?  If so, how are they working out?
>
> I have also been considering Travan drives, but have sort of decided
> that you have to include the cost of 10-20 tape cartridges into
> the cost; when you do this, the cost advantage of Travan evaporates
> considerably.

I have to agree. When you have an expensive tape, you tend to reuse it.
And reuse it. And reuse it. But with cheap $6 tapes one can have a pile
of them, and afford to put one away every couple of months for possible
future entertainment ("What was I doing in 1998?").

I have several Seagate/Conner/Archive 4236 2/4/8G 4mm drives at home
and work. Love 'em. They are not the fastest anymore (400k/sec honest
uncompressed rate) but have been very reliable. Last time I looked
Bason Computers (http://www.basoncomputers.com) had them for $399 each
(internal).

Was at an unclaimed baggage store a couple of years ago and got a 1st
generation Archive 4mm external for $50. It was a risk, but it works
perfectly at a whopping 170k/sec rate.

About 5 of us at work go thru about 2,000 4mm tapes and 5,000 8mm tapes
per year. We don't like our Sony SDT-5200 4mm drives, but we love Sony
4mm and 8mm media.